Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Helvetica???


Helvetica... Why is it so popular? Helvetica is definitely pleasant in many ways. It is very friendly to the reader and a san serif style font, making it more modern-like. It has excellent symmetry throughout its structure; shown for example by the letter "e", being sculpted out of what looks like a perfect circle. The lower-case letters are tall in comparison to the capitals, giving the font style as a whole, a very dominant and visually pronounced look. Simply put, you just cant miss it. Also, I cannot seem to draw my eyes away from the minuscule size tail on the lower-case letter "a". This is just another characteristic of the Helvetica font family that leaves others, including myself, puzzled as to why it just works so well.

I thought this picture showed how much variety was in this font family, and maybe an insight into how useful it can be. After writing the first paragraph of this post, I never realized how much I actually enjoy Helvetica. To be honest, I never really thought about it. I always just thought it was trendy and a font students heard their teachers reference over and over... That just goes to show you how ignorant I was to it, literally, until I came across this image. Now, I cannot just look at it as another regular font used for body copy or headings. Although, it does serve great for those purposes, but so many more as well. I look forward to creatively trying to incorporate it into some of my work throughout the future.

1 comment: